High Level Agreement 1977

Despite numerous commitments made under high-level diplomacy between countries, the development of economic relations has not yet been concluded. [17] The total volume of trade between Turkey and Malaysia remains modest, at $1.75 billion in 2011. In addition, bilateral trade is skewed in Malaysia`s favour, with Malaysian exports to Turkey amounting to $1.56 billion and Turkish exports to Malaysia amounting to only $182 million in 2011. [18] According to the final proposals, the Republic of Cyprus would become the United Republic of Cyprus. It would be a bulk federation that would be composed of two component states. The Cypriot state in northern Turkey would account for about 28.5% of the island and the Cypriot state in southern Greece would make up the remaining 71.5%. Each party would have had its own Parliament. There would also be a bicameral parliament at the federal level. In the Chamber of Deputies, the Turkish Cypriots would have 25% of the seats. (Although no precise figures are currently available, the division between the two Communities at independence in 1960 was about 80:20 in favor of the Greek Cypriots.) The Senate would be composed equally of members of any ethnic group. Executive power would be vested in a presidential council. The presidency of this council would rotate between the communes. Any community would also have the right to veto all laws.

From the beginning of the nineteenth century, the ethnic Greeks of the island tried to end nearly 300 years of Ottoman rule and unite Cyprus with Greece. In 1878, the United Kingdom took administrative control of the island in order to prevent Ottoman possessions from falling under Russian control under the Cyprus Convention, which led to the call for a union with Greece (Enosis). Under the terms of the agreement between Britain and the Ottoman Empire, the island remained Ottoman territory. After the defeat of the UN plan in the referendum, there was no attempt to resume negotiations between the two sides. While both sides have reaffirmed their commitment to continue efforts to reach an agreement, the Secretary-General of the United Nations has not been willing to resume the process until he is certain that further negotiations will lead to a comprehensive solution, based on the plan he presented in 2004. To this end, it has requested the Greek Cypriots to submit a written list of the changes they wish to make to the agreement. President Tassos Papadopoulos opposed this on the grounds that neither side should wait until it has presented its demands before the negotiations. However, it seems that the Greek Cypriots are prepared to express their concerns orally. Another Greek Cypriot concern focuses on the process of further discussions.

Papadopoulos said he would not accept any arbitration proceedings or timelines for discussions. The UN fears that this could lead to a new open end to the trial, which could last indefinitely. Meanwhile, the island was on the brink of civil war. Several attempts to present a compromise solution had failed. That is why, from December 1958, representatives of Greece and Turkey, called “mother countries”, opened discussions on the Cyprus question. The participants discussed for the first time the concept of an independent Cyprus, i.e. neither Enosis nor Taksim. The ensuing discussions, still led by the British, resulted in what is known as a compromise agreement in support of independence, which laid the foundations for the Republic of Cyprus.